Resting Barns, Oil 18"x24" $1900.
Red Barns, Oil 9"x12" $900.
SOLD, Rich Farmscape, Oil 18"x24"
SOLD, Vineyard Haven, Oil 12"x16"
Wheat Lands, Oil 24"x36" $3000.
SOLD, On the Marsh, Oil 30"x24"
Burkittsville, Maryland, Oil 12"x16"
I am a wanderer. I like to wander through the countryside or in the city – by car, by bicycle, or on foot. My constant companions are a pochade box – which allows me to do quick plein-air oil color sketches – and an old camera. Sometimes I take other easels when planning to do larger and more elaborate outdoor paintings.
While wandering I am constantly looking for scenes or objects that evoke an emotional response in me – something I just have to paint. This may be a majestic scene, an interesting object, a wonderful color, a special atmosphere, or a ray of sunlight striking a distant object. I am particularly interested in painting the effect of light on the landscape in the early morning and late afternoon or evening. These are the times for which I live – the time that has the most interesting light and the greatest emotional appeal to me. When I find something that interests me I try to capture it in paint.
BFA, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York
Has attended workshops given by well known artists.
- Art League, Alexandria, VA
- Washington Society of Landscape Painters
- Greater Reston Arts Center
- Mid Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association
Recent One Person Shows:
- Prince Royal Gallery, October 1998
- Spectrum Gallery, Washington, DC, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004
- Gallery 5800, Richmond, VA, April-May 2002
- William Ris Gallery, Stone Harbor, NJ, 2003, 2004
Recent Group Shows:
- Strathmore Hall Art Center, Bethesda, MD, "Urban to Suburban" Exhibit, 1999
- The M.G.Moser Gallery, Fairfax, VA, 1999
- Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum, The Space Race Illustrated, Washington, DC, 1999
- William Ris Gallery, Stone Harbor, NJ, 2000, 2001, 2002
- John Pence Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 2000
- Strathmore Hall Center for the Arts, Bethesda, MD, Washington Society of Landscape Painters, 2000
- Kevin Butler Gallery, Edgartown, MA, 2002, 2003, 2004
- "New Views of the American West", Strathmore Hall Art Center, Bethesda, MD, 2002
- Painting Landscapes on Toned Surfaces with Alkyds", by Edward L. Cooper, American Artist, May 1997, pp. 42-47.
- Baustian Award, Crockett Award, Washington Society of Landscape Painters
- "Realism Today" National Competition, American Artist, October 2000, pp.51. First Prize in Landscape Category
- “Painting Landscapes on Toned Surfaces with Alkyds”, revised, Color an American Artist Publication, 2001, pp 119-115.
- Bronze Medal – Landscape Art Award 2001, Art for the Parks, National Park Academy of the Arts.
- International Artist , Dec.2001/Jan 2002, p. 20.
"Paint Annapolis", Mid-Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association
- 2002: Urban Landscape Award
- 2003: Marine Landscape Award and Award of Merit
- 2004: Award of Excellence